Menu bar: the horizontal bar below the title bar that contains the names of the menus.
Toolbar: the bar with the buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. Invoked via Alt and then Shift+Fio.
Shortcut menu: the menu that shows a list of commands relevant to a particular item. Invoked via a right-click on an item or pressing Shift+Fio.
Submenu: the menu that appears when you select a command on a higher-level (previous) menu.
Task pane: a window within an office application that provides commonly used commands. Its location and narrower width size allow you to use it whilst working on your file.
Menus and toolbars
- Alt or F1o: selects menu bar, or closes an open menu and submenu at the same time.
- Ctrl+Tab or Ctrl+Shift+Tab: select a task pane or toolbar after pressing F1o or Alt to select the menu bar. Pressing the keys repeatedly moves the focus among the open toolbars, menu bars, and task pane.
- Tab or Shift+Tab: selects next or previous button or menu after a menu bar or toolbar is selected.
- Enter: opens selected menu, or performs the action for the selected button or command.
- Shift+FIO: displays shortcuts menu for the selected item.
- Alt+spacebar: display the title bar shortcut menu.
- Down arrow or up arrow: selects next or previous command when menu or submenu is open.
- Left arrow or right arrow: selects menu to left or right. Switches between main menu and submenu is open.
- Home or end: selects first or last command on menu or submenu.
- Esc: closes open menu. Close only submenu when submenu is open.
- Shift+down arrow: opens selected menu.
- Ctrl+down arrow: display full set of commands when shortened menu is open.
- Alt+ctrl+=: adds a toolbar button to a menu. Use this shortcut combo and then click a toolbar button to add the button to the appropriate menu. E.g., clicking Bullets button on formatting toolbar adds Bullets command to format menu.
- Alt+Ctr+-: removes commands from a menu. Use this shortcut combo and then select a menu command to remove it.
- Alt+Ctrl++: customizes shortcut key for a menu command. Use this shortcut combo and then select a menu command: the Customize keyboard dialog box opens so you can add, change, or removes the shortcuts key.
- Ctrl+F1: opens task pane or hides current tast pane.
- F6: activate currently open task pane window.
- Ctrl+Tab: activate task pane window when a menu or toolbar is active (Pressing Ctrl+Tab more than once may be required at times)
- Ctrl+spacebar: open task pane menu.
- Alt+ Home: goes to the getting started task pane.
- Alt+Left arrow: reverses sequence of task panes you open.
- Alt+right arrow: repeats sequence of task panes you open.
- Esc: closes a menu if one is currently open, or go back to the document.
- Tab or Shift+Tab: select a next or previous option in the task pane when a task pane is active.
- Down arrow or up arrow: moves among choices in a selected submenu: moves among certain option in a group of option.
- Spacebar or Enter: opens selected menu, or performs the action assigned to selected button.
- Shift+F1o: opens a shortcut menu in a document: open a drop-down menu for the selected gallery item.
- Home or End: selects first or last command on the menu or submenu when a menu or submenu is visible.
- Page up or page down: scrolls up or down in selected gallery list.
- Ctrl+Right arrow or Ctrl+ Left arrow: expands or collapses a collapsible item in gallery list.
- Ctrl+Home or Ctrl+End: moves to top or bottom of selected gallery list.